Assistant Farm Manager
Sweet Earth Farm
Diverse Regenerative Farm
Full-time position for Assistant Farm Manager on diverse regenerative farm in Earltown.
If you are hardworking, enjoy being outdoors, have an interest in learning how to run a farm business and are interested in organic and regenerative agriculture – we invite you to join our team!
Sweet Earth Farm is a small family-owned farm with a 10-acre organic haskap orchard, mixed pastured livestock (200 layers, hundreds of meat birds, 4 breeding sows and a small herd of beef and dairy cows) and young Christmas tree lot in West Earltown, NS (1/2 hour north of Truro). As much as practical, we implement regenerative agriculture methods, including rotational grazing, living mulch, no-till, etc. The farm comprises about 60 acres of pasture and 130 acres of woodlot, with trails, brooks/river and beautiful scenery.
We are hiring a full-time employee to work with us in our orchard, kitchen garden and Christmas tree lot and to assist with livestock management and farm administrative tasks. Preference will be given to those with farming experience. Applicants must be Nova Scotia residents, currently unemployed or underemployed (working 20 hours or less per week) and must qualify for the START program to apply. For more information please visit: https://novascotia.ca/employmentnovascotia/programs/start.asp
- Working in the orchard, completing tasks such as transplanting, spraying organic soil and foliar amendments, weeding, pruning, mowing, installing birdnetting and harvesting
- Assisting with livestock care and management, including moving chicken tractors, moving temporary electric fencing and crating chickens prior to
- Building permanent fencing, outbuildings and other construction
- Working at a local farmers’ market up to one afternoon per
- Working in Christmas tree lot, including clearing, pruning and planting fir
- Making observations about plant and animal health and
- Content to work outside for all of each day during the growing season, regardless of weather
- Physically fit, as you will be required to move for much of the day, including squatting, reaching, bending, kneeling, lifting,
- Efficient and able to anticipate what needs to get done once you are familiar with our
- Highly motivated and willing to work
- A team player, but also content to work alone, depending upon the
- Interested in growing healthy, nutritious and delicious food using regenerative and organic farming
No smokers please.
If you are new to the area, we may be able to offer very reasonable housing and meals, depending on your needs. We have a small off-grid cabin on-farm which we can offer in exchange for modest rent and assistance with daily chores. You must be content to have a roommate and live simply with few amenities. Alternatively, candidate may secure housing off farm.
Position is available immediately and will last at least until November 10, 2019. If there is mutual interest, position can extend through the winter with expanded duties to include administrative tasks, website development, marketing and (haskap) product development. Alternatively, if the candidate demonstrates a strong work ethic and the appropriate skillset, there will be opportunity for him/her to resume the position in May 2020.
This is the perfect opportunity for someone interested in farming full-time. After a successful 2019 growing season, land can be made available in 2020 for a market garden, additional livestock, woodlot management and/or fruit orchard so that employee can help generate a portion of their income using skills developed while working with us in 2019.Salary Range: $12 per hour; 32 hours per week
- Working with Others
- Communications Skills
- Continuous Learning
- Time Management
- Stress Management
- Team Work
If you are interested in this position, please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected], subject: “START job application”. Thank you for your interest!