Teen Services Assistant Library Clerk II (part time)
Website Colchester-East Hants Public Library
Under the direction of the Administrator, Youth Services, delivers library service in the Truro Branch and Outreach programs with emphasis on teen services. The work schedule is an average of 29.4 hours per week. The regular weekly schedule is Tuesday 9 am – 5 pm, Wednesday 12 noon – 8 pm, Thursday 12 noon – 8 pm, Friday 9 am – 5 pm, plus a Saturday shift (9:30 am – 5 pm) on a rotational basis.
Duties / Tasks
- Assists the Teen Services Coordinator in planning and delivering programs for teens Grade 7 – 12; fills in for the Coordinator as needed.
- Assists the Coordinator in seeking and developing partnerships with community groups, schools, businesses, and individuals to deliver library programs and promotional activities for teens, under the direction of the Administrator, Youth Services.
- Assists in collection development by recommending materials appropriate for teens.
- Assists with publicity and promotion for the Youth Services department.
- Provides reader’s advisory and information services to patrons of all ages during regular shifts on the information desk.
- Performs opening duties and circulation desk duties in the Truro branch, including registering and updating patron files, lending and receiving materials, answering telephone and directing calls, collecting fines, shelving, and shelf reading.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Education, Experience and Abilities Required:
- Grade 12 and relevant post-secondary studies OR an acceptable combination of education and work experience (experience working with youth preferred).
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for - and comfort with - working with teens.
- Solid computer skills and willingness to upgrade as required.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, organizational, communication, and teamwork skills, including the ability to communicate effectively, tactfully, patiently, and courteously with people from a wide variety of cultural, social, and education backgrounds
- Ability to adapt to changing needs of clientele and procedures, including the ability to adjust programs to suit the audience, and to new tasks as required.
- Ability to carry, push and pull heavy loads.
- Ability to work evening and weekend shifts on a regular rotation.
- Valid driver's license with a clean driving record and willingness to drive the library vans.
- Working with Others
- Continuous Learning
- Computer Skills
- Time Management
- Team Work
Please submit résumé with cover letter to:
Jennifer Atkinson, Administrator, Youth Services
Colchester-East Hants Public Library
754 Prince Street
Truro, NS B2N 1G9
Email: [email protected]
Application deadline: Wednesday, October 25 at 5 p.m.
We thank all who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org