Website NPower Canada
At NPower Canada, a charitable organization established in 2014, we are on a mission to help as many young people as we can by providing them with the technical and soft skills they need to secure employment in the technology field, often lifting themselves and their families out of poverty.
We provide an all-encompassing program that teaches in-demand technical and soft skills as identified by our employment partners from banks to startups. We take our program – and our youth – to the next level by including one-on-one and group coaching that builds business communication and customer-facing skills as well as addresses mental health and other societal obstacles that may impede completing certification. Our goal is to connect at least 80% of our program graduates to new and rewarding career opportunities with some of Canada’s largest employers, supporting all of our alumni with ongoing mentorship and placement support for five years after they complete our program.
Our unique approach to workforce development has seen 1,398 youth graduate from our programs in the last 5 years. In addition to growing our current capacity, we are scaling our model to include alumni training programs through a $2.5 million grant from Google.org and a new reskilling program. To support our growth within the GTA, in Calgary and soon in Halifax and Vancouver, we are adding passionate, collaborative, motivated, and compassionate team members to our offices.
Right now, we are searching for a Program Manager.
Who we need
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, we are adding a Program Manager, to spearhead the successful opening and day-to-day running of our first site in Halifax. This is an opportunity to play a vital role in launching this much needed IT workforce development program for young adults and incumbent workers in your community; one that has received an initial funding grant to operate for three years.
You will lead a dynamic cross-functional team of front-line program staff on the successful end-to-end setup and launch of our pilot program including securing facilities, hiring and training staff; participant recruitment and case management, employer and community partner relationship development, and stakeholder management. You will collaborate closely with the Senior Education Manager to create a resilient education framework and learning environment addressing the needs of youth 18-29, leading to adoption and expansion of offerings.
Who you are
You want to make an impact. You are a well-rounded Program Manager with direct experience in training and education and you have a strong professional network of contacts at allied organizations serving low-income young adults in Halifax. You know how to manage end-to-end program delivery successfully. You are comfortable presenting findings and analysis to stakeholders and equally at home, sitting with diverse students to address barriers to learning. You can dig in and get hands dirty as well as implement highly effective oversight. You are passionate about creating employment opportunities for youth through targeted, holistic education. You believe in fostering a partnership with your teams and participants, engaging and empowering them in thoughtful and creative ways, motivating them to overcome obstacles and reach their full potential.
What’s in it for you
Purpose. This is an outstanding opportunity to see the tangible results of the work you do as we transform the lives of our students. This is a genuine chance to make an impact on someone’s life, empowering them to contribute back to their community as they grow personally and professionally.
Vocation fulfillment. This is a chance to work with individuals who are seeking opportunities to update their skills and take the next step in their career. It’s an exciting greenfield opportunity to develop and evolve programs that are directly responding to the needs of your community. No two days will be the same.
Growth potential. You will have ongoing opportunities to achieve technical certifications and learn new ways of delivering content to your students. As we continue to expand our program offerings both locally and nationally, the chance to move up to Regional Manager or Director exists. Over 75% of our staff have grown their capacity and moved up in roles and responsibilities since starting here. If you are passionate about our purpose, you will find a fulfilling career path here.
Exposure. You will have the opportunity to work with leaders and team members at our partners to learn more about the skills they are seeking in new hires and then create programs to deliver those skills.
How you will make an impact:
- Deliver results-focused workforce development programs. You will focus on a primary goal of achieving program enrollment, graduation and job placement outcomes, ensuring that at least 80% of program graduates secure meaningful employment. You will:
- Be hands-on setting up the physical site from securing facilities to creating learning spaces and meeting areas.
- Collaborate closely with the Sr. Director, Program Strategy and Design and Chief Development Officer, to align this new initiative with our existing programs in Ontario and Alberta, while customizing the framework to meet the needs of local community members.
- Plan and roll out the successful delivery of the program, flagging notable obstacles and presenting possible solutions to leadership.
- Manage participant recruitment and admissions by partnering with internal staff, and community partners, to fill programs to capacity with new participants looking to start a technical career.
- Oversee the day-to-day, measuring targets at the beginning, midway, and year-end points, acting as a point of escalation for relationship issues, ensuring high quality in methodology through evaluations, assessments, and feedback.
- Collaborate with your team, the teams in Ontario and Alberta and the leadership team to successfully create and deliver a program where participants achieve certification, can market themselves professionally, and meet job requirements to obtain employment in their targeted area.
- Build and nurture a team. You will recruit, hire, and train a complete front-end team of instructors and coordinators. You will:
- Provide leadership guidance and training, supporting your team to ensure they understand our education model, our program delivery model, and what they are working towards.
- Mentor front-line staff in core elements of program delivery such as issue resolution, crisis intervention, facilitation, lesson planning, teaching, and providing warm and appropriate referrals.
- Program Evaluation. You will assist the leadership team in collecting data and analyzing qualitative and quantitative program outcomes. You will:
- Conduct quarterly data review, ensuring completeness and accuracy of data entered regarding key metrics (enrollment, certification, referrals, employment, and graduation outcomes).
- Prepare weekly reports regarding program activities and outcomes, providing feedback to front-line staff regarding case notes and documentation to ensure adherence to best practices.
- Prepare end-of-cohort reports to facilitate reflection on best practices, lessons learned, and outcomes achieved to inform future cohort delivery.
- Stakeholder Engagement. You will cultivate, grow, and steward key employer and stakeholder relationships. You will:
- Build and nurture strong relationships with community and employer partners.
- Organize employee engagement opportunities for corporate partners, such as classroom visits and site tours.
- Support marketing efforts with case study identification and other content development.
- Deliver presentations to diverse stakeholder groups.
- Attend networking and alumni events.
- Participant Supports. You will lead case conferencing and provide case supervision to the program team, assisting front-line staff with successfully navigating and resolving challenging participant service situations. You will:
- Oversee participant disciplinary process and lead sensitive meetings with participants, especially when addressing final warnings and dismissals.
- Serve as the first point of escalation to address participant complaints; work with staff to document, respond to, and resolve complaints.
- Oversee program staff coordination of participant resources (professional clothing, transportation vouchers, exam vouchers, housing, etc.).
What you bring to the team:
- The education. You have post-secondary education in human services, employment counselling, non-profit sector management, or a related discipline.
- The experience. You have 3-5 years of experience in non-profit sector program management, preferably in the employment services field and ideally targeting participants 16+. You have demonstrable strengths in program planning, development, evaluation, and reporting.
- The commitment to inclusion. You exhibit a high level of sensitivity, relatability, and emotional intelligence. You have an understanding of the socio-economic and mental health barriers faced by the youth of all backgrounds, and you have experience working with diverse community members, including new Canadians, Indigenous youth, people with disabilities, LGBTQ, low income, and racialized groups.
- The leadership. You are an exceptional people manager who can grow, coach, and develop a highly responsive front-line team stepping up to meet the needs of youth. You can foster and nurture internal and external relationships with participants, colleagues, funders, community and employer partners, and other stakeholders.
- The technical skills. You are proficient with educational software including, but not limited to, Google Drive and Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Schoology, an LMS, and a CRM. You have exposure to a blended learning approach and can lead the implementation of best practices.
Why should I join?
Joining NPower Canada is an opportunity to make an I - M - P - A - C - T:
Innovation. You will be part of our continuously evolving purpose, to reflect the needs of our employers and respond to the needs of the youth we support. We are always looking for ways to change, and we want team members to propose and try new ideas.
Motivation. You will make a measurable difference in people’s lives. Everything we do, and every action we take at NPower Canada is motivated by the chance to change lives.
Passion. You will have the opportunity to channel the desire and drive of the youth we serve. We support youth in overcoming adversity to achieve their career aspirations. The people who make up our teams are genuinely committed to making a difference.
Agility. You will be part of an industry-driven program that is growing strategically. We are always testing and evaluating new curriculum and approaches to programming. We foster a growth mindset and take pride in the way we change lives.
Collaboration. You are all in. And so are we. From admissions to alumni, from operations to fundraising, everyone within the organization works in partnership with each other. We are wholly focused on the opportunity we have to elevate NPower Canada’s mission and build a work and life skills program that is unique to Canada.
Tangible outcomes. You will be rewarded personally and professionally as you become a part of the communities we are raising up. What we offer is transformative, and each of us has a chance to see and hear the direct impact we have on the lives of the youth we serve.
Are you ready to make an impact with us?
At NPower Canada, we understand that not everyone acquires their skills and experience the traditional way. If you feel you can make a difference to our team and the communities we serve, and you have 70% of the qualifications listed here, please express your interest. We promise to consider your application.
NPower, Canada is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NPower Canada will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Human Rights Code. Please inform us if you require any accommodation through the hiring process.
- Working with Others
- Communications Skills
- Problem Solving
- Computer Skills
- Time Management
- Team Work
Please apply: https://npowercanada.applytojob.com/apply/UeV6iesIdT/Program-Manager