Youth Worker – Casual
Website Phoenix Youth Programs
Phoenix Youth Programs
If you are someone who wants to make a difference for young people and our community, this is a fantastic opportunity to begin a career with Phoenix! Offering schedule flexibility, great learning opportunities and the ability to grow within the organization, we look for staff who are dedicated to the work we do. We are committed to supporting staff to meet their professional goals and make every effort to promote from within.
Relief Workers are called on a casual basis to work shifts at Phoenix Youth Shelter (emergency shelter), Phoenix House (long-term residence) and at Phoenix Centre for Youth (walk-in centre). We are hiring people who are available to work at least 20 hours per week. Although we cannot guarantee hours, we are usually able to provide Relief Workers with 30-40 hours of work per week. Relief Workers should be prepared to work in the three programs listed above and to work any time of day including awake-overnights with shift lengths ranging from three to 12 hours.
Compensation: $19.00 per hour, Employee and Family Assistance Program
Screening Requirements: This position is subject to a criminal record check, vulnerable sector search, a child abuse register check and proof of education.
- Provide support and programming for youth
- Provide a supportive environment that promotes youth empowerment
- Assess and address the needs of the programs’ youth, including crisis intervention
- Complete and maintain all logs, files and records as required and ensure confidentiality is protected
- Supervise and monitor the program’s activities and ensure that policies, security and safety are maintained
- Bachelor of Social Work or an undergraduate degree in a related discipline
- Proven track record in establishing good working relationships with youth
- Demonstrated skills in the development of rapport and trust with youth; the creation of a safe and secure setting for youth; and ensuring that youth services are offered in a therapeutic and non-judgmental manner
- Ability to work from a youth-centred approach
- Demonstrated exceptional level of interpersonal, communication, organizational and youth service skills
- Non-violent crisis intervention (Crisis Prevention Institute preferable), suicide intervention (ASIST), standard first aid or a commitment to secure those requirements within six months of being hired
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment reflective of the youth we serve. We welcome applications from individuals from equity seeking groups such as racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, persons with disability, persons who identify in the LGBTQ2S+ community and others who reflect the diversity of our Nova Scotia communities. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications and merit; however we encourage self-identification on either your covering letter or resume.
Recruitment is on-going.
To learn more about Phoenix Youth Programs and other career opportunities, visit: www.phoenixyouth.caSalary Range: $19.00 per hour
- Working with Others
- Communications Skills
- Problem Solving
- Stress Management
- Team Work
Please forward a resume and a cover letter (in Word or as a PDF document) with pertinent information about your qualifications to:
[email protected] with the subject line “Relief Worker”