Retail Associate (Student Position)
Corridor Community Options for Adults
Please note this is a Summer Student Skills Program position through the Province of Nova Scotia. Student must be attending college or university to qualify. Hours and duration of work are flexible and can be from 20.0 – 37.5 hours per week for 8-16 weeks. This could be extended by the organization when the student program funding is completed.
Covid19 health protection measures are in place.
Reporting to: Manager or designate
Hours: 8:30am-4:00pm Monday-Friday. Some night or weekend work may be required.
Corridor Community Options for Adults is a non-profit, charitable organization that provides employment and community inclusion supports for people considered to have an intellectual disability. Operating in the communities of East Hants since the 1970’s, we offer a wide variety of programs that include the operation of social enterprises that include a Thrift Store, an Online auction, a Café and Catering service, and a Wood Products manufacturing operation. We offer day programs for people living with high and complex support needs, multisensory room experiences, Job coaching, Job Development, and Community Employment opportunities, Youth programming, Recreational programming, and an in-home Service for Seniors.
Scope & Purpose: The Retail Associate is part of a team that is responsible for the day-to-day operation of Rick’s Riches Thrift Store including receiving and processing donations, customer service, merchandizing, floor display and store maintenance.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- To work with people considered to have an intellectual disability and foster good relations.
- Coordinate daily activities and duties with other Employees.
- Receive and process donations. Provide assistance to people donating items.
- Repetitive lifting, bending, reaching is required.
- Operate cash registers and payment processing equipment.
- Provide general customer service. Assist customers with their shopping needs.
- Address customer concerns as required.
- Assist with the cleaning, pricing, and display of merchandise.
- Perform general store cleaning and housekeeping duties.
- Inform the Manager/designate when leaving the premises.
- Other duties as assigned.
This is a student position and may appeal to those studying Human Services, Disability Supports, Social Services, Business Administration, Recreational Therapy, Physical Therapy, or other allied health studies.
- This role is physically demanding and requires the Employee to be in good overall health.
- The employee may process donations that are wet, have odours, are soiled and dirty, may be hazardous (ie. broken glass) and could be otherwise unpleasant.
- Ability to perform all physical duties of the job.
- Able to lift up to 20kg (50 lbs) repetitively.
- Criminal record and vulnerable sector checks are required
- Working with Others
- Communications Skills
- Problem Solving
- Continuous Learning
- Computer Skills
- Time Management
- Team Work
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.