Website The Sunset Community
The Sunset Community is located on the Northumberland Strait in the picturesque village of Pugwash, Nova Scotia.
The Sunset Community supports adults with disabilities. We provide safe and supportive living, learning and work environments so each individual can live a satisfying and meaningful life.
The Sunset Community is a leader in removing barriers which prevent those we support from access to choices.
The Sunset Community is now offering a signing bonus of $500.00. Half of the bonus will be paid out when new hire completes orientation and the second half will be paid after one year of employment.
The Residential Counsellor (Casual) shares responsibility for ensuring that the individuals who reside within the Sunset Community Organization have the opportunity, encouragement and support to live, work, play, grow and develop to the limit of their comfort, interests and abilities. The Residential Counsellor will practice under the psychosocial rehabilitation philosophy.
This position reports to the Manager, Client Services and works under the supervision of the staff nurse/supervisor.
The Residential Counsellor is responsible for the following duties:
- creating and sustaining a normalized living environment that facilitates and encourages independent behaviours and social interactions;
- encouraging and supporting each client’s age appropriate and culturally appropriate self expression and appearance;
- contributing to a safe living and working environment by:
- recognizing and reporting hazardous or unsafe conditions or situations to the staff nurse supervisor or manager, client services;
- safe, efficient use and storage of all medications and cleaning agents, etc.;
- keeping traffic and living areas clear of obstacles, spills and other potential hazards to safety.
- participating in the creation and implementation of client care plans;
- providing personal care or support and encouragement to supplement the efforts of the client’s ability to contribute to their own personal care needs;
- maintaining relationships with each client that are respectful of:
- their individuality and full citizenship rights;
- their needs for privacy and confidentiality of personal information;
- the appropriateness of a worker/client relationship;
- facilitating and evaluating the objectives of daily physical, social, and sensory activities and;
- other related duties that may be assigned by the manager, client services or the staff nurse/supervisor.
Physical demands include: bending, kneeling, reaching, pushing, pulling, climbing stairs, assisting with lifting of clients and supplies, carrying loads up to 40 pounds and meeting the walking and standing needs that are required in this position.
Well-lighted, warm indoor environment. However, it may be necessary to work outside even in inclement weather. Outside activities may include shopping, sports events, camping, beach trips. May have to accompany a client in a vehicle off Sunset’s property.
This position is apart of a Bargaining Unit.
Please visit our website https://thesunsetcommunity.ca/ for more information and details on this position.
Other Requirements :
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Criminal and Vulnerable Persons Record Check must be provided
- Experience providing support to persons with disabilities is an asset
- Working with Others
- Document Use
- Communications Skills
- Problem Solving
- Continuous Learning
- Computer Skills
- Team Work
Please submit resumes to email@example.com