Wood Products Assistant (Student Position)
Corridor Community Options for Adults
Please note this is a Summer Student Skills Program position through the Province of Nova Scotia. Student must be attending college or university to qualify. Hours and duration of work are flexible and can be from 20.0 – 37.5 hours per week for 8-16 weeks. This could be extended by the organization when the student program funding is completed.
Covid19 health protection measures are in place.
Reporting to: Manager or designate
Hours: 8:30am-4:00pm Monday-Friday. Some night or weekend work may be required.
Corridor Community Options for Adults is a non-profit, charitable organization that provides employment and community inclusion supports for people considered to have an intellectual disability. Operating in the communities of East Hants since the 1970’s, we offer a wide variety of programs that include the operation of social enterprises that include a Thrift Store, an Online auction, a Café and Catering service, and a Wood Products manufacturing operation. We offer day programs for people living with high and complex support needs, multi-sensory room experiences, Job coaching, Job Development, and Community Employment opportunities, Youth programming, Recreational programming, and an in home Service for Seniors.
Purpose of position
The position provides support to the Wood Products Program Instructor(s) and Program Participants. The program is very busy manufacturing bagged kindling, washer toss games, wine racks, survey stakes, spec products, and other wood related products.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- To work with people considered to have an intellectual disability and foster good relations.
- Coordinate daily activities and duties with other Employees.
- Unload, load, lift, place, store, move, and process raw materials.
- Use basic hand tools.
- Operate powered equipment such as band saws, circular saws, table saws, sanders, drill presses, wood splitters, wood processing equipment, dust collectors, drills, impact drivers, grinders, and other equipment.
- Paint and stain products.
- Clean and maintain equipment.
- Provide general assistance including administrative and technical tasks.
- Participate in meetings as required.
This is a student position and may appeal to those studying Human Services, Disability Supports, Social Services, Carpentry or Construction, Recreational Therapy, Physical Therapy, or other allied health studies.
- This role is physically demanding and requires the Employee to be in good overall health.
- Work is carried out both indoors and outdoors year round.
- Ability to perform all physical duties of the job.
- Able to lift up to 20kg (50 lbs) repetitively.
- Criminal record and vulnerable sector checks are required
- Working with Others
- Communications Skills
- Problem Solving
- Continuous Learning
- Computer Skills
- Time Management
- Team Work
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com