Wood Products Worker
Corridor Community Options for Adults
Job Title: Wood Products Worker
Reporting to: Manager and/or Program Instructor
Hours: 8:30am-4:00pm Monday-Friday, occasional evenings and weekends required
Corridor Community Options for Adults is a non-profit, charitable organization that provides employment and community inclusion supports for people considered to have an intellectual disability. Operating in the communities of East Hants since the 1970’s, we offer a wide variety of programs that include vocational training and supports through the operation of social enterprises that include a Thrift Store, an Online auction, a Café and Catering service, and a Wood Products manufacturing operation. We offer day programs for people living with high and complex support needs, multisensory room experiences, Job coaching, Job Development, and Community Employment opportunities, Youth programming, Recreational programming, and an in home Service for Seniors.
Purpose of position
The position provides support to the Wood Products Program Instructor(s) and Program Participants. The program is very busy manufacturing bagged kindling, washer toss games, wine racks, survey stakes, spec products, and other wood related products. The program serves 12+ participants and may employ several casual staff.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- To work with people considered to have an intellectual disability, and foster good relations.
- Coordinate daily activities and duties with other Employees.
- Repetitive lifting, bending, reaching is required.
- Unload, load, lift, place, store, move, and process raw materials.
- Make deliveries, process invoices and paperwork, and merchandise products at customer locations where needed.
- Assist with ordering raw materials, equipment, and supplies.
- Operate delivery vehicle and trailer.
- Use basic hand tools.
- Operate powered equipment such as band saws, circular saws, table saws, sanders, drill presses, wood splitters, wood processing equipment, dust collectors, drills, impact drivers, grinders, and other equipment.
- Paint and stain products. Clean and maintain equipment.
- Provide general assistance including administrative and technical tasks.
- Participate in meetings as required.
- Liase with Program Instructors and other staff on client progress and program plans.
Work Experience and Skills
- Previous wood working experience would be an asset
- Aptitude for building things. Motivation to learn
- Exceptional hand-eye coordination.
- Computer skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Capacity to analyze a situation and prioritize tasks.
- Physically capable of standing for extended periods of time and lifting up to 50 pounds repetitively.
- Commitment to fairness and equality and sensitive to the needs of others.
- Some experience with people living with disabilities would be beneficial.
- Work when scheduled, be on time and stay to the end of the shift.
- Participate in morning meetings.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner.
- Treat co-workers and participants with dignity and respect.
- Foster an atmosphere of teamwork, initiative, willingness to learn and dependability.
- Provide quality support to participants of CCOA.
- Maintain confidentiality of the organization.
- Wear appropriate clothing and safety equipment as required.
- Employees are representing the organization when in public, while on the business site of the organization and while driving vehicles owned by the organization.
- This role is physically demanding and requires the Employee to be in good overall health.
- Ability to perform all physical duties of the job.
- Able to lift up to 20kg (50 lbs) repetitively.
- Valid Nova Scotia driver’s license.
- Clean drivers abstract is required.
- Criminal record and vulnerable sector checks are required.
Corridor Community Options for Adults is following the Nova Scotia Health Authority Guidelines regarding COVID19.
Salary Range: $15-$16 To start with the possibility of an increase based on work performance
- Working with Others
- Communications Skills
- Problem Solving
- Continuous Learning
- Time Management
- Stress Management
- Team Work
Please email resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org